Sunday, December 20, 2020

Today's Prompt: My Proudest Achievement- Stella the Sturgeon

 Back in January and February 2019 I entered a piece in the Langdon Divers Art Gallery art show that was in conjunction with the Fond du Lac WI Sturgeon Spectacular. The theme was Fishes of Fondy and the requirements were that your piece had to be about Walleye, Sturgeon or Muskie. I chose the Sturgeon because they are really dinosaurs in the water- they are huge, they have been here for thousands of years and they are very unique. I had also been admiring Susan Carlson's 20 foot fabric collage crocodile which gave me the idea to do a life size collage quilt of a sturgeon. Thus was born Stella the Sturgeon! I had so much fun making her and the ideas just flowed right out of me- a most unique experience of not overthinking and part of it from the background to the fabrics I chose for various part on the fish.

After the Art Exhibit was over I applied for the SECURA Fine Arts Exhibition at the Trout Museum of Art (which is not a fish museum- read about it here https://troutmuseum.org/) I just thought what the heck! She was accepted!!! And not until I was attending the opening night did I find out that it is very hard to get a piece in this Art Show. I was blown away!!! And- VERY honored.


Here are some photos of the process:

My daughter helped with the pattern for Stella- made it to size and I printed off the pieces and taped them together.


Paper pieced these scales and forgot to take the paper out so she crinkles if you run your finger along that part - too funny!


The background is various whites with silver accents to depict ice and snow.



This is the most fun I have ever had making a quilt!!!!! 

1 comment:

Mrs. Mueller said...

Kim,

What an amazing quilt! Stella is beautiful and I love the colors of the fabrics. Please let me know where Stella is now!

Your #1 fan!

Barb

December 2023

The winter quilt goes up in the entry- snowmen can stay up all winter- not just during the Xmas season Memory pillow and small purse made wi...